Back to Careers
Principal UX Designer
Smartsheet cloud-based work management platform empowers collaboration, drives better decision making, and accelerates innovation for over 70,000 brands in 190 countries, including more than 50% of the Fortune 500. Named by Forbes as one of the world’s top private cloud companies, Smartsheet complements existing enterprise investments by deeply integrating with applications from Microsoft, Google, Salesforce, Atlassian, and many others. Smartsheet was awarded Washington's Best Place to Work in 2017 by Puget Sound Business Journal!
The Principal UX Designer will be responsible for leading a team of UX Designers in following a human-centered design process and applying UX principles to create engaging, valuable, and intuitive user experiences. You will represent the end user and evangelize user-centered methodologies across the product team to ensure innovative designs that truly meet people’s needs from first-time users to seasoned experts.
This role will report to the Director of UX at our Bellevue, WA headquarters.
- Manage the day-to-day and strategic activities of UX designers, making sure that the human-centered process is properly planned, followed and documented.
- Mentor and coach UX designers in a motivating and supportive manner and keep the team on top of emerging UX design techniques and tools.
- Gain a deep understanding of user needs and goals and communicate them to cross functional product teams.
- Work closely with the product team to launch new features and evolve existing ones based on an understanding of user needs, business objectives and technical constraints.
- Create task flows, wireframes, prototypes and other interaction design deliverables.
- Test ideas and rapidly incorporate user and team feedback.
- Create visually stunning interfaces that make emotional connections with users and communicate the brand.
- Provide assets, specifications, and guidance for implementation of the user interface throughout the development process.
- At least three years experience leading, inspiring and mentoring 3+ member teams.
- Proven track record of designing exceptional experiences for complex, data driven web and mobile applications.
- Passion for the field of User Experience. Self motivated and enthusiastic; knows when it's necessary to seek out guidance.
- Experience facilitating activities to gather insights on user needs and goals and conducting usability testing.
- Experience finding simple, innovative solutions for complex problems.
- Experience with Agile methodologies.
- Strong visual design skills and sensibilities.
- Expert in Photoshop, Sketch, Axure or other visual design, wireframing, and prototyping tools. Proficiency in rapid prototyping.
- Highly organized with planning, conducting, and tracking work.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills; ability to work successfully with teams across the organization, including Product Management and Engineering.
- Ability to articulate design decisions and advocate for the user.