The most productive people rely on tools, applications, and platforms to help them work more efficiently and effectively. But in order to be truly useful, productivity tools must be in the cloud to allow for online collaboration.
We’ve detailed the types of productivity tools your team needs to be successful, and the importance of connecting them for maximum efficiency and productivity. We’ve also taken a look at a new way of thinking about managing and executing work to help your team be as effective as possible.
Types of Productivity Tools
Across organizations, five categories of tools are used to facilitate work execution and improve productivity. Teams typically need a productivity tool from each of these buckets to be successful in their work execution:
- Create and Author: Applications that aid in the creation of content or digital assets, often shared, sometimes co-authored
- Store and Sync: Applications that enable users to organize, access, secure, and share files
- Manage: Applications that enable visibility, action, status, and automation for process, programs, or projects
- Communicate: Applications that facilitate text, voice, and video communications from one person or group to another, often feed-based and searchable
- Reference: Applications that create structured websites that are referenced for knowledge, instruction, and navigation
Note that some platforms and applications can satisfy more than one of these categories.
The Importance of Connected Tools
While productivity tools, including online collaboration tools and work execution platforms, can help employees be more productive in and of themselves, today’s enterprises are demanding tools that allow their employees to work seamlessly across platforms. Applications that connect with other workplace technologies and platforms are essential for workers to truly be more productive — and save time switching between apps.
Increasingly, IT departments are seeking to connect the dots between productivity tools to make it easier for workers to create, collaborate, and ultimately get work done faster.
Work Execution Platforms: A New Way to Work
Given the changing nature of work, traditional productivity and project management tools, and even more recent online collaboration tools, are limited in their ability to support the proliferation of complex work throughout an organization. Many of these tools either lack the level of control enterprises need to track complex work, or they’re too difficult for workers to use.
A work execution platform like Smartsheet balances the need for centralization and standardization with the need for flexible tools that support different workstyles and requirements in a format that is easy for workers to use.