Customers are constantly looking for detailed insights into their work, or to see their data presented in new and innovative ways to achieve results more efficiently. Microsoft’s Power BI makes it easy for anyone who needs to visualize their workflows in Smartsheet by creating dashboards and other visualizations in Power BI. Although Smartsheet customers can use the Live Data Connector to connect Smartsheet to a visualization tool of their choice, Microsoft has just simplified the process by enabling an out-of-the-box integration to the new Power BI platform.
Overview of Power BI
Microsoft Power BI is a cloud-based business analytics service that enables data analysts to visualize and analyze data with greater speed, efficiency, and understanding. It connects users to a broad range of live data through easy-to-use dashboards, provides interactive reports, and delivers compelling visualizations that bring data to life. Working closely with our team, Microsoft is releasing the following two Smartsheet integrations:
- Smartsheet connector for Power BI desktop — The optimal integration for Smartsheet customers on Office 365 who need to summarize data from multiple sheets and workspaces as well as external sources like Excel, Salesforce, and SAP.
- Smartsheet content pack — Best for Smartsheet customers who want to summarize data from multiple sheets and workspaces within Smartsheet. (Requires no existing Microsoft products.)
Both integrations are now available to customers as a beta, or preview release, from Microsoft’s Power BI site. After about five minutes of setup, our customers can create personalized dashboards and run reports.
Smartsheet Desktop Connector
The Smartsheet desktop connector enables users to combine their data from Smartsheet with other data sources to create powerful visualizations and get deep insights and analytics. Here’s what you can expect:
- Easy navigation of the workspace, folder, and sheet hierarchy.
- Get a preview of selected sheets quickly. Select multiple combinations of sheets and reports as data sources.
- Create relationships between different sheets quickly and easily using drag-and-drop functionality. Additionally, create relationships with other data sources such as Salesforce, SAP, and other leading enterprise tools.
- Build beautiful dashboards and visualizations with a few clicks.
Smartsheet Content Pack
The Smartsheet content pack for Power BI gives users an out-of-the-box dashboard for their Smartsheet environment. Here’s what you can expect:
- Easily access a single view of your entire Smartsheet environment.
- Hover over visualizations to get additional details.
- Drill down into the data by clicking on dashboard items.
Beautiful Dashboards for your Data
- The integrations maintain the logical hierarchy of Smartsheet workspaces, folders, and sheets, so you can find the right data source easily. Data is always up to date, without lowering performance.
- Users can choose any combination of sheets and reports in Smartsheet with data from other Power BI sources (such as CRM, ERP, etc.) to get insights across tools and organizations.
- Business users with any technical skill level can now create charts and dashboards with Power BI's easy-to-use interface. Managers can keep everyone unified by sharing the same dashboard with the rest of the team so everyone monitors identical key metrics.
- Power BI includes Mobile apps for Windows, iOS, and Android, so you can monitor your Smartsheet dashboards while on the go.
Try Power BI with Smartsheet
To get started with Smartsheet’s integration to Power BI:
- Smartsheet desktop connector (Free and paid versions available) - Download the Power BI desktop and then search for Smartsheet as a data source.
- Smartsheet content pack (Free and paid versions available) - Sign in to Power BI website and search for Smartsheet in the list of content packs.
Visit Smartsheet’s Microsoft partnership page for more information.