What to Include in a Technical Requirements Document
A technical requirement document, also known as a product requirement document, defines the functionality, features, and purpose of a product that you’re going to build. It is often the first phase of planning for product managers and serves a vital role in communicating with stakeholders and ensuring successful outcomes. Companies may have different technical requirements templates based on the technology and methodology they’ll use to complete the project, the needs of internal and external stakeholders, and other factors. However, there are some key items that are often included in requirements documentation:
- Revision Log: A record of document updates that designates who is responsible for the updates, in order to track changes.
- Executive Summary: An overview of the project or product with background information, the business case for pursuing the project, a description of the target audience, and high-level goals. You may also include the scope of the project in this section, detailing what is in-scope and out-of-scope for the current stage of documentation.
- Assumptions, Risks, and Dependencies: Factors affecting the project and requirements. These items may include constraints that present limitations to a project, a description or diagram of the context and larger system in which a product exists or is being created, and specific assumptions such as what technology, equipment, or expertise may be available.
- Requirements: Functional requirements should have sufficient detail so that designers can work to meet all requirements and testers can confirm that they all have been satisfied. You may include a numbered and prioritized list of requirements for tracking and reference. There may also be a separate section for non-functional requirements.
- References: Create a list of supporting documents and links to relevant artefacts.
- Glossary: A glossary can help stakeholders decipher technical and non-technical terminology used in a requirements document.
For more information, including how to write a technical requirements document and a brief look at Agile modeling, see the detailed article on requirement documents.
IT Technical Specification Template
This technical specifications document template is designed to help you create a detailed report for IT projects, which could include addressing infrastructure issues, system updates, and other technical projects. The template provides sections for including a project overview, specifications and requirements, resource needs, and more. This Excel template has a simple layout that can easily be edited to suit your project.
Download IT Technical Specification Template
Website Technical Specifications Template
List requirements for a website project, including those related to navigation, content management, design, security, and more. The template provides room for detailed comments, and a column for assigning a tracking number to each requirement. To expand the template and include more requirements, simply copy and paste the number of sections needed.
Download Website Technical Specifications Template
Technical Requirements Document Template
Use this technical requirement document template for any project. It provides a basic outline to work from with an easy-to-read format. List your functional requirements, reporting requirements, security requirements, and more.
Download Technical Requirements Document Template
Software Technical Specification Template - WORD
This software technical specification template is a Word document with traditional outline formatting. Create a comprehensive document describing project scope, user information, product features, assumptions and dependencies, system features, interface requirements, and other specifications. The template includes sections for a glossary and appendix.
Transform Your Technical Requirements Into a Working Checklist With Smartsheet
Smartsheet is a work management and automation platform that enables enterprises and teams to work better. Having a reliable template to track and manage requirements can help make any project run smoothly. Use Smartsheet’s customizable Requirement Collection Checklist to turn your technical requirements document into an organic checklist that you can share with your entire team and stakeholders. Use the template to store, organize, and communicate new project requirements. Once all your information is entered into the template, you’ll have a foundation for your development process and the ability to track status, priority, and key dates.
See how easy it can be to manage and track technical requirements and other business documents.